Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Cruise Wear

Since the only thing I have on the needles is a great big raspberry colored square of cotton, and I haven't been home to actually cook anything or try any new beers, I'll revisit some older projects.

This was to be the week that we prepared to go on our big boat cruise with friends. But we gave that up for our wonderful trip on the Maple Leaf. Now, a cruise through the Carribean in May and a cruise through the Pacific Northwest on a sailboat in April require entirely different kinds of preparation. For the former, spring tops, shorts, maybe even a new bathing suit. For the latter:

As my friend Richael would say, "Woolies!" (And a little microfiber.)

Four of these items were specifically knit to keep us toasty on the trip. At the bottom of the picture are two versions of His Hat, the black and grey one for Geek Boy, the blue one for me. Crime of Fashion was my first attempt at colorwork, another knit specifically requested by Geek Boy. When I saw the pattern and told him about it, he immediately requested one...and then patiently waited through a whole winter season while I dealt with 450 rows of black stockinette stitch. On top, Sugar on Snow, Peek-a-Boo mittens and Lake Park hat. Now, Crime of Fashion stayed home, because Geek Boy always fears losing it somewhere. The rest all travelled cross country with us and were extremely useful on the trip (there is a picture of me with Sugar on Snow around my neck, His Hat on my head (along with two hoods) and the Peek-a-Boo mittens on my hands. I was the poster girl for hand knit woolies!

And I have to say, the Peek-a-Boo mittens were great. They kept my hands warm and yet let me easily pop out my fingers for taking pictures. Geek Boy's latest request is something similar...although he wants more along these lines, with fingers and all.

On books...I'm currently listening to Malcolm Gladwell's Tipping Point in preparation for a leadership workshop next week. I really like the way this guy writes. He's very engaging, and also very good at reading his own work. It's also interesting to be listening to it with the framework of this workshop in mind. When I read Blink, it was for pleasure. Now, I'm trying to see how some of his concepts can be put into action at work. Should be interesting.

No comments: